Setting Permissions for your account, pages, and blocks
Sometimes you want to give certain members of your team access to view or edit specific Qwilr Pages. Our Permissions tools help to make those refined decisions.
Note: The Permissions settings apply only to users with the Creator role. Account admins will always be able to view and edit all content.
In this article
- How do Permissions work?
- Account-wide settings
- Qwilr Pages: Sharing your Pages internally
- Qwilr Pages: What happens with "View Only" mode?
- Qwilr Pages: What happens when a Page isn't shared?
- Qwilr Pages: Knowing whether a Page was shared
- Saved Blocks*: Setting block-level permissions
- Saved Blocks*: What happens when only admins can edit a block?
How do Permissions work?
With the Permissions feature, you'll be able to control access to two types of content:
- Whole Qwilr Pages
- Saved Blocks (Enterprise plans only)
You'll set permissions for each page or block, but there are also account-wide defaults you can set.
Account-wide default sharing
Within your account settings, admins can set the default access level for Qwilr Pages.
Default page access
To access your default page-sharing settings, click on your initials in the top right corner, and choose View All Settings → Notifications.
- Pages are private by default - All Qwilr Pages are visible only to the person who created them and any account admins. Any page owner can still choose to share their pages with other non-admin users.
- Pages can be viewed by everyone - All new Qwilr Pages are visible to all team members. All account admins can edit them by default. Any page owner can still choose to grant edit access to other non-admin users.
- Pages can be edited by everyone - All new pages are editable by all users in the account. Any page owner can still remove access from other non-admin users.
Default invitation settings
You can either give non-admin users access to invite others to your Qwilr account, or restrict invitations to admin users.
To access your default invitation settings, click on your initials in the top right corner, and choose View All Settings → Account.
- Creators can invite any user - all non-admin users can invite anyone to your Qwilr account. Some of these invitations may result in a charge.
- Creators can only invite users who share the same email domain - non-admins would be restricted to inviting others with, for example, your company's email domain. Keep in mind that if a Creator uses a general email domain like Gmail.com, that would allow them to invite other users with that same domain.
- Creators can't invite other users - only admin users would be able to issue invitations.
Sharing your Pages internally
To share your Qwilr Page with a colleague, you'll head to your internal sharing setting. As you're editing the page, click on the Share With Team icon to bring up those settings.
You'll see a menu drop down, where you can search for the Qwilr user you want to share this page with. You can also grant them view or edit access.
Check the box next to the user that you want to share with and select what they can do. With Can View, they'll be able to view your Qwilr Page but they cannot edit. With Can Edit enabled, they'll be able to directly edit your page.
What happens with View Only mode?
When you've given a colleague View access they'll see this banner when they view your Qwilr Page.
What happens when a Page isn't shared?
If you've chosen to not share a Qwilr Page with a colleague, they won't be able to see your page on their dashboard. It won't exist for them unless you share it.
The only exception is if they're an admin. Admins can always view and edit all Qwilr pages in an account.
Knowing whether a Page was shared
You can check on who has access to any page while you're editing it. Click the Share With Team icon to display a list of team members who have access currently. Next to each name you'll see the access they have: view or edit. Keep in mind that admins can always edit all pages in your account.
Setting block-level permissions
Note: Block-level permissions are available only on our Enterprise plan.
Once you've saved a block, you can lock it from your saved library. To access the library, add a new block and click the Library tab.
Click the Options icon (three dots), and then enable the Lock Editing to Admins switch. A lock icon will appear next to the block title.
What happens when only admins can edit a saved block?
If a user with Creator access uses a locked block in a Qwilr Page, they'll see a message that this block is locked. The user won't be able to edit the contents or styling of the block. (Any admin will be able to make these edits, however.)
The contents can't be edited, but some block settings are still available, like making the block foldable, moving it up or down, or deleting it from the Qwilr Page. All users can access those options by clicking the Block Options icon (3 dots) in the top left corner of the block.