A splash block allows you to have a background image covering the entire block. These are great for breaking up content while keeping your design looking beautiful.
In this article:
Creating a Splash Block
To create a Splash Block, select the 'Splash' icon from your block menu.
Decide whether you want an image or video. In this example, we're going to use an image. Click on 'Add Image/Video'.
You have the option of:
- selecting one of our royalty-free stock images or videos.
- uploading and using one of your own images.
- embedding a YouTube video (simply by inserting the video's URL).
There's a range of options for tweaking your splash image:
- You can set it at full page / one-half page / one-third page
- You can have the image standalone, or you can place text on it. You can also have the text appear on a semi-transparent white background for greater contrast.
Note: Splash background videos are static on mobile browsers (i.e., only a screenshot of the video is visible).
Tips for a Great Splash Background
A great splash image can make your Qwilr Page sing. To help with this, we provide thousands of stock Splash images (and videos) for you to use via our Unsplash partnership.
However, if you would like to find more background images we have three tips:
- The Stocks is a great resource. It aggregates around a dozen excellent splash image websites. All are royalty free and ready to use.
- Google Image Search has a filter that allows for royalty free image search. This means you can sometimes find great photos of specific places / things for free.
- Take your own photos! Having photos of your project, previous work, or team is a great way to make it personal.
Also, as mentioned above, you can add background videos from YouTube.
File Sizes, Resolutions, and Cropping
The best ratio for a Splash image is 16 x 9. At Qwilr, we use images that are 1600 pixels wide by 900 pixels high, but you can use bigger or smaller images if you wish.
Splash images can be up to 2mb in size. If you have an image you want to use, you will need to reduce the size before you can upload it to Qwilr.
One important thing to keep in mind about Splash backgrounds, though, is they're a design element. Your image will be resized or cropped as needed depending on the screen size of the viewer. Splash backgrounds are great to add wow factor, but shouldn't be used if you need your clients to see 100% of an image or video.