Downloading & sharing PDFs
Qwilr is built for the web, but we know your clients still need a PDF for printing or archiving. That's why we've built our PDF generation tool. You'll be able to save PDFs in A4 or Letter sizes, and in portrait or landscape orientation.
The PDF will be a printer-friendly version of your Qwilr Page. Web pages don't always translate perfectly to print pages, so some things in your page will change stylistically to fit better in a PDF display.
We always recommend sharing the web version whenever possible - that gives your clients the interactive version of your Qwilr Pages that everyone loves.
Downloading a PDF
You can access the PDF download from 2 places.
Option 1. On your dashboard, click the More Actions icon (3 dots) next to the page title. Then choose Create PDF from the drop-down menu.
Option 2. While you're editing your page, you'll see a download icon at the top right corner.
From there, you'll be taken to the PDF preview and download page.
You can do a number of different things here:
- Preview how your PDF will display. No need to download the PDF to view it first. Scroll through the pages and check out how it looks.
- Choose your page size. You can choose between A4 and US Letter sized files.
- Choose your page layout. You can choose a portrait or a landscape format.
- Choose your PDF file size. There are 3 different compression settings: Archive, Email, and Print. Choose the option that best matches your needs. Archive, for example, will be the smallest file size, but the greatest amount of compression, so images won't look as sharp. Email is a balance between the two and optimized to use as an email attachment. Print is the least amount of compression and optimized to look great when printed.
- Chose what to include in your PDF. You have the options to include page numbers, Embed and Video Blocks in your PDF. (See below for more details on how those will look.)
When you've made your choices, click Download PDF.
Linking to a PDF
From within the same PDF preview page, above the download button, you'll see a URL and a Copy button. When you copy the PDF's URL, you can send your clients a link. Or, if you want your clients to be able to download a PDF from within the Qwilr Page itself, you can include this link there.
Keep in mind, though, if you link to your PDF from within your Qwilr Page, the generated PDF will contain a link to the PDF. Very meta!
How Embed and Video Blocks appear in the PDF
If your page contains an Embed Block and you decide to include it in the PDF, the graphic below will display. Clicking View Online takes your client to the live Qwilr page to see your embedded content.
If your page contains a Video Block and you decide to include it in the PDF, what displays is the video's thumbnail image and any text you've added to the block. The video itself won't play in the PDF. The same thing is true if you've added inline video or Splash video to other blocks.